Life is just not fair! Until next time, Good day, and good dog!
In preparation for next week’s big National Dog Championships, I’m spending a little time learning about the new breeds recognized by the AKC this year. First up: the Sloughi! According to the American Sloughi Association, the Sloughi is a rare breed of Arabian sighthound from the north African countries of Morocco, Tunisia, Libya and Algeria. […]
Today in our 12 Days of Christmas giveaway and deal of the day series, we’re featuring our exclusive The Dog + Cat Rescue Coloring Book! Manufactured in St. Louis, the coloring book features a…
[[ This is a summary only. Click the title for the full post, photos, videos, giveaways, and more! ]]
I can (in theory) get everything on this trail camera:
I actually haven’t been placing mine on actual game trails but on access roads, and that may have limited all the animal activity I’ve been able to capture.
Hey guys- long time no talk, right? I miss you all.
I’m here, though as you probably noticed less so than I used to be. It’s by design- lots of stuff in the works as always, and figuring out how this little blog fits in to all of it is always something I think about. People are reading fewer words these days, looking at more pictures, listening to more podcasts. How do we continue to stay in touch in a world whose canvas is ever-changing? Do I even want to try? (Yes. You should always try.) That being said, writing is at the core of what I do; curated hair tutorials, which I think my daughter would respect me for a lot more, just aren’t my bag. We are who we are. I also like to talk, though, so we’ll see what that means for 2017. Stay tuned.
I updated my website last week, at long last, because it wasn’t mobile responsive, and was ready for a little update. Mobile responsive. That didn’t even exist as a concept in 2009 when we launched and now it’s an absolute necessity. So yes- we change with the times, and the site is now not only the blog but the book and the speaking and the other things I’ve been blessed to do because of the blog. But did you see there’s a dog running around on the homepage? Hello, that’s so awesome and worth all the work.
Thanksgiving is a weird one; we’re supposed to go from grateful and all-the-feels to “spend everything” in the space of one day. So now it’s #GivingTuesday, which follows #BlackFriday and #CyberMonday when your pocketbooks are already drafty and cobweb filled from the irresistible Amazon flash deals and midnight Target runs, here like a finger wagging auntie to remind you in your post-spending spree glow that even though you spent every last dime you really should be focusing on the intangibles, like giving.
Nonetheless, here we are, and here we sit, thinking about how we can give. We give money, and we give stuff, and we give time. I think that last one is highly underrated these days. We spend too much time talking and not enough time listening, too busy to stop and really look at what’s going on around us, who is hurting, who might need our help and compassion. Sometimes that person is you, and all that saves you is that one person who’s paying attention and reaches out when you need it most. I feel like we used to be better at that, but now we’re too focused on the phone in front of us that we trip over our neighbor splayed out on the sidewalk. When did this happen? We’ve forgotten how to slow down and breathe.
I breathed a lot this weekend. I spent it binge watching Westworld and The Crown (omg Westworld! BERNARD!!! Someone please talk about this with me) and it was such a luxury because I never have time to binge watch anything. The only reason I did it was because I was too sick to do anything else, which a decade ago would have meant I shoved through and did it anyway, but now I just stop. It’s nice. I wish I could convince myself to do it more often, do nothing, veg out and make the kids scrounge up leftovers for dinner.
I was supposed to be working on editing my next book proposal, which I would love to get a move on but not while hopped up on cold meds. What an honor it is to even have the ability to do that, to have an agent who works with me, and readers who support me in that. You guys are the genesis of all of that, and I am thankful every day for the people who read here. Some of you have been here since 2009, which is nuts and amazing and humbling, so now that I’m on the mend- back to work.
Books are my heart, and I’m working on it. In the meantime, I found All Dogs Go to Kevin at my local Target and that was kind of like the best thing ever. EVER! Me, sharing shelf space with Harper Lee for the space of one brief and glorious month. I may or may not have been followed around by suspicious Target employees wondering why the weird woman spent so much time staring at a line of books in aisle A47 and wiping her nose.
So I give what I can, where I can. Today, I have my books. I want to give some to you. I’ve decided to do it this way:
Five copies to the first five people who email me a receipt for a $ 10 or more Giving Tuesday donation to the nonprofit of their choice. Animals, humans, environment, whatever floats your boat. Send me a photo of your receipt dated today to firstname.lastname@example.org, and I’ll send you a copy of All Dogs Go to Kevin because who doesn’t want to go to the post office this time of year, right? (You’re all worth it.) The book totally fits in stockings, I checked.
And the other five copies here, as a giveaway to whoever wants it, because I’m celebrating that this site is still here, and you’re still here, and we’re still here. Resilience is one of the cornerstones of the human condition, right? And I’m so happy to share it all with you guys.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Rachael Ray Nutrish has sponsored this post, but all opinions are my own. After the long, hot summers that we experience here in Texas, I always look forward to winter. While we can only hope for…
[[ This is a summary only. Click the title for the full post, photos, videos, giveaways, and more! ]]
Dogs from 49 states and hundreds of international exhibitors will vie for Best in Show The AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin has drawn record entry numbers in its 16th year. An entry of 4,710 dogs will compete for the title of National Champion on December 17 and 18, 2016 in Orlando, Florida. Combined […]
Another great rescue by Hope for Paws. I’m so glad Eldad posts these so I can share them with you. I just love how patient and caring he is with these scared dogs. Another testimony to the value of a microchip! Until next time, Good day, and good dog!
Doggies.com Dog Blog
First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you here in the states! I’ve always been a big fan of celebrating being grateful, and that is what this holiday means to me. And while this year has admittedly been difficult for my family, it’s also the most thankful I think I’ve ever been. (You can read my big gushing “why I’m thankful post” over on Facebook.) I hope that whatever your plans, you have a wonderful holiday and weekend full of joy and gratitude.
And now, it’s time once again for the annual sharing of my personal list of Black Friday/Small Business Saturday/Cyber Monday deals! In the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving, when I come across any seriously amazing deals and/or coupon codes, I record them, then compile a list of favorites to share with you guys (the full list is below).
Since we are going to be out of the country next week, Bubby and Bean Art‘s annual sale was a little early this year. But in case you missed it, use coupon code THANKS and you’ll receive 15% off your order. Woohoo! You can use that on our holiday cards (all of which are eco-friendly and made by hand), our art prints, or anything you want. Thank you for your support of our little shop and all small businesses this holiday season!
And speaking of small businesses, although the list below is mainly for larger stores, please check out your favorite independent shops (both online stores and physical shops) over the next week, and visit Etsy. I genuinely believe that this is more important than ever right now. Many small businesses will be offering substantial discounts this weekend, but most don’t have large advertising budgets to enable them to announce them far and wide in advance like bigger companies do. (And if you own a small business or Etsy shop and are having a sale, please share it in the comments so that my readers and I can check it out!)
And here we go…
MY BLACK FRIDAY/CYBER MONDAY WEEKEND SALE + COUPON CODE LIST
- A PEA IN A POD: Save up to 30% off at A Pea in a Pod (11/23-11/27).
- AMAZON: Special Deals of the Day and Lightning Deals updated every 5 minutes at Amazon.com all week. TIP: If you’re an Amazon Prime member, you’ll get access to some deals 30 minutes before they’re available to the public.
- ANN TAYLOR: 50% off everything with code CELEBRATE at Ann Taylor (11/23-11/27).
- ASOS: 30% off everything with code THANKFUL30 at ASOS (11/24-11/29).
- BANANA REPUBLIC: 50% off 5 regular priced items at Banana Republic (11/24-11/26).
- BLOOMINGDALES: Take 15% off $ 100-$ 199.99 or 20% off $ 200+ on a great selection of items online + save up to 50% on select items at Bloomingdales (11/24-11/26).
- EDDIE BAUER: 40% off sitewide with code HARVEST at Eddie Bauer (11/22-11/27).
- EXPRESS: 50% off sitewide + free shipping at Express (11/23-11/25, 11/28).
- EVE MATTRESS: $ 200 off all mattresses + free shipping at eve.
- FOREVER 21: Deals starting at $ 3 at Forever 21 (11/24-11/28).
- GAP: 50% off sitewide at The Gap (11/24-11/25).
- H&M: Free shipping with code 0319 + up to 80% off select styles at H&M (11/23-11/28).
- IKEA: $ 25 off $ 150 or more with this coupon, 25% off Swedish food Market, + more deals at IKEA.
- J.CREW: 40% off both full-priced and sale priced items with code HOLIDAY at J.Crew (11/22-11/27).
- JEWELRY.COM: Up to 85% off select styles with code SALE at Jewelry.com (11/21-11/27).
- KOHL’S: Take an extra 15% off with code NOVSAVE15 (11/22-11/25) + deals all weekend (11/22-11/2) at Kohl’s.
- MACY’S: Deals up to 75% off plus take an extra 20% off with code FEAST at Macy’s (11/22-11/28).
- MADEWELL: 25% off your entire purchase with code THATSALE at Madewell (11/22-11/27).
- MINTED: 15% off no minimum, or 20% off $ 150+ on holiday with code BF2016 (11/23-11/27). Also 20% off $ 150+ on holiday, wedding, and all gifts with code BF2017 at Minted (11/23-11/28).
- MODCLOTH: 20% off no threshold, 30% off $ 100+, 40% off $ 200+ with codes FRIDAY20, FRIDAY30, FRIDAY40 at Modcloth (11/23-11/27).
- NORDSTROM: Take an extra 20% off select sale items at Nordstrom (11/24-11/28).
- SUR LA TABLE: Save up to 65% off during Thanksgiving Sale + other offers at SurLaTable.com (11/23-11/27).
- SHOPBOP: Spend $ 200+ get 15% off, spend $ 500+ get 20% off, spend $ 800+ get 25% off with code GOBIG16 at Shopbop (11/22-11/28).
- SHOW ME YOUR MUMU: 40% off select styles with code MUMUSALE40 at Show Me Your Mumu (11/22-11/27).
- TARGET: Hundreds of deals up to 50% off site wide at Target (11/22-11/28).
- TJ MAXX: Free shipping + 5 days of deals at TJ Maxx (11/24-11/28).
- TOPSHOP: Up to 50% off select items at Topshop (11/23-11/28).
- URBAN OUTFITTERS: Buy one get one 50% off on ALL apparel at Urban Outfitters (11/23-11/25).
- WANDERLUST + CO: 40% off sale items with code YASSS at Wanderlust + Co (11/22-11/29).
- WEST ELM: Spend $ 100+ and get 15% off, spend $ 500+ and get 20% off, spend $ 1000+ and get 25% off, spend $ 3000+ and get 30% off with code SAVENOW at West Elm (11/22-11/27).
- WORLD MARKET: Deals up to 60% off. Also free shipping on orders $ 100 or more with code JINGLEBELL, and 10% off with code SAVEBIG10 at World Market (11/23-11/27).
- ZAPPOS: (This one is my favorite!) From Black Friday to Cyber Monday, Zappos will cover the cost of adoption for the cat or dog of your choice when you adopt through Best Friends Animal Society or select locations in the No More Homeless Pets Network. (11/25-11/28).
I’ll be updating this post and adding new deals throughout the week and weekend as well, so be sure to check back. And make sure to visit Bubby and Bean’s sponsors (just click on their images over there in the right sidebar) if you’re doing holiday shopping this weekend. Many of them have really great specials going on that you don’t want to miss. Again, Happy Thanksgiving, and happy shopping!